Let’s face it – dogs can be smelly. Even with regular bathing, grooming, vacuuming and washing of their beds, the cleanest pet households seem to have a constant dog smell. Often families with pets are used to the stench, which isn’t so great when company comes over. Luckily, a dog deodorizing spray can help.
Many pet families turn to deodorizer sprays for dogs to help fight the funk. There are a variety of options available on the market, and the right one for your dog may depend on your specific needs and preferences. We’ve come up with a list to help you choose the best dog deodorizer spray so you can entertain guests without worrying about a smelly house.
Our Top Dog Deodorizing Spray Picks for Sweet-Smelling Pups
What is Deodorizer Spray for Dogs?
Dog deodorizing sprays are designed to safely eliminate unpleasant dog odors from your dog. Often marketed as dog perfume, dog cologne, or dog deodorant, these sprays are applied directly onto your pet’s fur. They are formulated to neutralize odors by breaking down the odor-causing molecules rather than just masking them with fragrance. Some common ingredients of dog deodorizer sprays include baking soda, citrus extracts, essential oils, proteins, and enzymes. And of course, they typically feature a nice-smelling fragrance.
Dog deodorizing sprays are generally safe for all pets, although many companies don’t recommend using their products on puppies under 8 weeks old. And in some cases, dog deodorant may cause itchiness or reactions due to skin sensitivities or allergies to any of the ingredients.
Types of Dog Deodorizing Sprays to Consider
There are various types of deodorizing sprays for dogs available on the market. In this article, we’ll be focusing on sprays that can be applied directly onto your dog’s coat, but here are a few other options to help get rid of unwanted smells:
- Sprays for surfaces: Typically enzymatic, these sprays are used to clean up accidents on carpets and floors and use natural enzymes to break down the odor-causing compounds in dog urine, feces, and other bodily fluids.
- Fabric-refreshing sprays: These are often used to refresh and deodorize fabrics such as furniture, bedding, and dog beds. They typically contain essential oils or other fragrances that leave a pleasant scent behind.
- Fragrance sprays: These sprays freshen the air with fragrances that mask dog odors and are not meant to be sprayed directly onto your pet. Fragrance sprays come in a wide range of scents including lavender, citrus, and peppermint.
- Dry shampoos: These leave-in shampoos are formulated to clean and deodorize your dog’s coat without the need for water. They often contain baking soda, cornstarch, or other absorbent materials that help to soak up odors.
How We Made Our Selections
We’ve done extensive research to help you choose the best dog odor eliminator for your household. Plus, having two smelly pups of my own, I have plenty of experience using deodorant for dogs!
Safety. To ensure none of the options on our list contain toxic ingredients, we took the safety of each dog odor spray into consideration.
Efficacy. We looked into the claims of the sprays in order to provide options that are truly helpful at lessening odors.
Reviews. Learning from the experiences of other pet parents is crucial with products like this, so we scoured reviews to get a well-rounded look at each spray.
Price. Finally, we chose sprays at different price points to provide both inexpensive options, as well as those that may be a bit of a splurge.
8 Best Dog Deodorizing Sprays of 2023
All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Vetstreet may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Many deodorizing sprays for dogs promise to banish stinky odors and leave your pup smelling fresh. But which ones can you actually count on? Here are the dog deodorizing sprays we recommend to suppress the stench.
Overall Best Dog Deodorizing Spray
Our pick: CHI® for Dogs Deodorizing Spray
One of the leading brands of deodorant for dogs, CHI neutralizes smelly odors while also conditioning your pup’s coat. This long-lasting dog grooming spray uses the same technology as their professional CHI human lines and will leave your pet with a silky-smooth, fresh-smelling coat.
- High-quality, pH balanced formula with fragrance and conditioner
- Great customer reviews, with some pet parents saying the results lasted for over a week
- Paraben free
- Recommended for all breeds, including puppies over 8 weeks old
- Some customers returned the product because they didn’t like the smell
- More expensive than many other dog deodorizing sprays
Best Smelling Dog Deodorizing Spray
Our pick: TropiClean Lime & Coconut Dog Perfume
How would you like your pup to smell like a tropical vacation? TropiClean is a natural, long-lasting dog deodorizing spray enriched with gentle coconut cleanser, plus a moisturizing conditioner to give your pet a silky, fresh-smelling coat. This dog perfume comes in several other tropical scents including Berry Breeze, Kiwi Blossom, and Papaya Mist.
- Dog deodorizer and conditioner
- Excellent reviews from over 10k satisfied customers, many of which commented on the sweet tropical smell
- Paraben, dye, soap and cruelty free
- Some customers complained that the fragrance was very subtle and didn’t have much of a smell
- Not suitable for puppies under 12 weeks old
Best Natural Deodorant Spray for Dogs
Our pick: Burt’s Bees Dog Deodorizing Spray
For over 30 years, Burt’s Bees has been a household name in natural health and beauty care products. Their dog deodorant formula uses 98.2% natural ingredients including oatmeal, avocado, lavender, and honey and is made without any harmful dyes, fragrances, or chemicals. You and your pet will love the smell of Burt’s Bees dog deodorizing spray, as well as the price point!
- pH balanced for dogs
- Made without parabens, phthalates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, or sulfates
- Great price point
- Multiple scents available
- Some customers commented that the fragrance was too subtle
Best Dog Deodorizing Spray for Extra-Stinky Pups
Got smelly pups? Odors don’t stand a chance with Wags & Wiggles powerful deodorizing spray for dogs. Without the use of any toxic chemicals, this beautifully scented dog spray will leave even the stinkiest pups smelling fresh. It has a delicious grapefruit scent and is pH balanced for your furry friend. Bonus: Wags & Wiggles makes a variety of dog sprays including a detangler, an anti-itch spray, and a dry shampoo.
- pH balanced for dogs
- Grapefruit scent
- SLS, paraben, and DEA free
- Great price point
- Some customers mentioned that the fragrance didn’t last very long or that they didn’t like the smell
- Product is made in China, while other brands are made in the USA
Best Dog Odor Eliminator for Puppies
Our pick: Earthbath® 3-in-1 Deodorizing Dog Spritz
If you’ve got a smelly little puppy on your hands, you need to be extra careful with what kind of dog deodorizing spray you use. Earthbath is an all-natural 3-in-1 dog deodorizer, conditioner, and detangler that doesn’t contain any parabens, sulfates, alcohol, or dyes. The company advertises that their product is safe for all dogs, including puppies, and it uses all-natural ingredients like lavender oil, vitamin E, and organic aloe vera for the skin and coat. Bonus: Lavender oil can help calm your puppy’s crazy energy!
- 3-in-1 dog deodorizer spray
- Lavender scent
- Suitable for dogs over 6 weeks
- Safe, non-toxic ingredients
- Paraben, dye, alcohol, sulfate, and cruelty free
- Excellent customer reviews
- A few customers commented that the fragrance only lasted a day or two
- More expensive than some of the other dog deodorants
Best Dog Deodorizing Spray for Sensitive Skin
For smelly pups with skin sensitivities, you’ll want a hypoallergenic dog deodorant like this one. Pawfume is formulated with botanicals to provide a delicious scent while it gently freshens and moisturizes your pup’s skin and coat. The company claims that their formula lasts 3-5x longer than other leading brands, and because it’s formulated without parabens, dyes, fragrances, or sulfates, you’ll feel great about using it.
- Eco friendly, hypoallergenic, and alcohol free
- Made without parabens, dyes, fragrances, sulfates or other toxins
- Available in three delicious scents
- Safe for adult dogs as well as puppies
- Excellent ratings from thousands of satisfied customers
- Comes in a 4 oz spray bottle at a higher price than some 8 oz bottles
- Some customers didn’t like the smell
Best Vet Recommended Deodorizing Spray for Dogs
Our pick: kin+kind Dog Deodorizing Spray
If you’re looking for the best vet-approved dog deodorizing spray, we recommend kin+kind. This veterinarian tested and formulated lavender dog deodorant is made with non-toxic, plant-based ingredients — such as aloe and essential oils — that are safe for all dogs. Plus, it pulls double duty as both a dog odor eliminator and conditioner.
- Veterinarian formulated, approved, and recommended
- Dog deodorizing spray and conditioner
- Non GMO, vegan, and cruelty free
- Lavender essential oil can calm anxious pets
- Hand-mixed in a USDA-certified organic facility
- More expensive than many other dog deodorizing sprays
- A few customers complained that it left their pet’s coat sticky or waxy
Best Budget Dog Deodorizing Spray
Our pick: Arm & Hammer Super Deodorizing Spray
If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, the Arm & Hammer dog deodorizing spray is a great choice. It’s made with Arm & Hammer baking soda that dissolves and eliminates odor, while kiwi extract, aloe, and grapefruit seed extract freshen the coat and add moisture to skin. Plus, you can’t beat the price!
- Great price point
- Hypoallergenic and pH balanced without the use of parabens or sulfates
- Excellent reviews: customers claim the scent lasts for longer than other brands
- Recommended for all dogs 8 weeks and older
- Several customers commented that they did not like the smell
Dog Deodorizer Spray Buyer’s Guide
When searching for a good smelling dog spray, here are some factors to consider:
Ingredients. Look for dog deodorant spray that contains natural ingredients that are safe for your dog. Avoid products that have harsh chemicals, such as parabens, or synthetic fragrances that can irritate your dog’s skin and may even be harmful.
Effectiveness. The dog deodorizing spray you choose should effectively neutralize unpleasant odors and not just mask them.
Scent. Select a scent that you and your dog like. A strong fragrance may be overwhelming and unpleasant for your dog, while a mild scent may not be powerful enough against certain odors.
Safety. Make sure the deodorizing spray you choose is safe for your dog to use. Check if it’s suitable for dogs of all ages, breeds, and skin types. For dogs with sensitive skin, look for a spray that contains dog-safe essential oils or is hypoallergenic.
Brand reputation. Consider buying from a reputable brand that specializes in pet products and has a good track record of producing high-quality products. Be sure to read the customer reviews and check the return policy.
Price. Compare prices of different dog deodorant sprays and choose one that fits your budget without compromising on quality. You can also price compare with different online vendors to find the best deal. Once you find a dog deodorizer spray that you and your pet like, you may be able to get a discount on certain sites for monthly auto-ship.
How to Deodorize a Dog: Tips for Using Deodorizing Spray
Get to the root of the odor
Dog deodorants are not a substitute for baths or regular grooming. Before using any dog deodorizer spray, it’s important to address the underlying cause of any odors, such as poor hygiene, unwashed bedding, or a medical condition like secondary yeast or bacterial infections on the skin. In this case, you should consult your veterinarian.
Spray it safe
Dog deodorizers should be sprayed directly onto your pet and can be used on all areas of the body including the coat, paws, and ears. Avoid getting the spray in your pet’s eyes or mouth. (You can cover your dog’s face with your hand or paper towel when applying anywhere near its head).
Most dog smell sprays can be applied to wet or dry fur and last 2-7 days. For the best results, thoroughly massage or brush the dog deodorant into your pet’s coat. If your pet itches after applying the dog deodorizing spray, they may be allergic to one of the ingredients used in that particular brand. Consult your veterinarian and/or try a different brand if this happens.
Do your research on DIY
Many pet parents swear by homemade dog deodorizer sprays using essential oils diluted with water. Some essential oils can be harmful to pets (cinnamon oil, citrus oil, peppermint oil, among others), but some (chamomile, lavender, cedarwood) can actually provide other health benefits, such as muscle pain relief and relaxation. If you choose to make a DIY dog deodorizing spray, be sure to do your research or consult your veterinarian before experimenting.